As school closures were announced in Baldwin County many worried about how children who rely on the school nutrition program for daily meals would be fed. Some area businesses and organizations were …
As school closures were announced in Baldwin County many worried about how children who rely on the school nutrition program for daily meals would be fed. Some area businesses and organizations were thinking about this as well. Several restaurants have offered to provide free lunches to students who need them while they are home from school.
Here is a list of local restaurants offering free meals as of press time. Always call ahead and check to make sure these offers are still valid before you visit:
• Honey Baked Ham – (Fairhope and Foley) If school closures have you concerned about not being able to have lunch for your school age children please come in and grab a kid’s boxed lunch on any Wednesday during the school closures. Fairhope location: 426 Fairhope Ave., Fairhope (251) 928-7262, Foley location: 2770 S McKenzie St, (251) 923-4361
• Chicken Salad Chick (Daphne) - In light of schools being out and the strain that can put on families, Chicken Salad Chick will be offering free kid’s meals to children 12 and under all day Monday’s until school is back in session. Child must be present. Chicken Salad Chick Daphne is located at 1802 US-98 F, Daphne.
• Subway (Fairhope Location Only) - Subway is offering lunch for the children Thursday's. Please bring them to Subway for a complimentary bagged lunch. Bags will include a 6" ham and cheese sub, chips and a cookie. Thursday, March 19, 11a.m. – 2 p.m. and Thursday, March 26, 11, a.m. – 2 p.m. *No special orders. Subway Fairhope is located at 80 Plantation Point, Fairhope.
• It’s All Greek to Me – (Fairhope) Offering free food for children and young teens, up to 15-years-old, between noon – 1 p.m. starting March 20, and then from Monday through Friday the following weeks. It’s All Greek to Me is located at 108 N Section St, Fairhope.
• Culver's (Foley) Genesis Church is partnering with Culver's in Foley starting March 18, to provide 100 free children meals for struggling parents. Just go through the drive-thru and say you want to take advantage of "For Baldwin" and pick up a kid meal courtesy of Genesis Church. Culver’s is located at 3241 S McKenzie St, Foley.
• Gulf Island Grill – Gulf Island Grill will feed anyone in need, young or old. Call or text Freddie Peninger (251) 978-6922. Gulf Island Grill is located at 244 E Beach Blvd, Gulf Shores.
• Rock and Roll Sushi (Foley) - Due to schools being out and growing concerns regarding children not being able to eat, children 12 and under will be able to eat for free at Rock n Roll Sushi-Foley, starting March 19 through April 3. (With the purchase of any headliner roll, dine in or Togo, WEEKDAYS only)
School Based Programs
• Gulf Shores City Schools – Gulf Shores City Schools will implement a School Closure Feeding Program on these dates: Thursday, March 19, 2020, through Friday, March 20, 2020, Monday, March 23, 2020, through Friday, March 27, 2020, Monday, March 30, 2020, through Friday, April 3, 2020.
Meals will be served utilizing a drive-thru pick up at Gulf Shores High School between 11 a.m. and noon daily. Free Meal Program Details: 1. Meals are free to all Gulf Shores students and anyone under the age of 18. 2. Food served is healthy and follows USDA nutrition guidelines. 3. No application or proof of income is needed to participate. For more information and updates follow Gulf Shores City Schools on social media or go to www.gsboe.org
• Prodisee Pantry- Prodisee Pantry understands hunger and we are here for every Baldwin County family who is struggling to put food on their table. There will be an emergency food distribution Tuesday, March 24, from 9 a.m. to noon. Each family needs to bring proof that they live in Baldwin County, a picture id and their patience as basic canned food items are provided. If you have stocked up, please watch social media posts for future distributions. The most efficient way you can help fill the plates of your neighbors in need, is by giving online at www.prodiseepantry.org. Donations will help restock and continue food distributions.