I don't charge our clients for every little thing they need. I want them to succeed, I want to see them change for the better, and I want them to be happier. Their self-image is a huge part of being happier and more confident.
Generally speaking, people are lost and confused about health and fitness, so let me share something with you tonight which will hopefully clear up some confusion and help you to get started on the right track before you even get into a gym.
First let me start by telling you that in four weeks, a client of mine only picked out a couple of the tips below, consistently did them, and within 30 days has lost 2 inches off of her waist and ¾ of an inch off her arms. No tricks, nothing radical, no drugs, just the following:
1) First thing in the morning, take between 6 and 8 ounces of warm water, heat 27 seconds in the microwave, and squeeze the juice of one whole lime or lemon into the glass along with a quarter teaspoon of Himalayan salt.
The Himalayan salt will help to nourish the adrenal glands, which are responsible for producing cortisol and adrenaline---we want cortisol levels low. The lemon or lime juice will help to balance the body's pH and get the gastric juices going which equals better digestion. These things are incredibly critical and it is a good thing to start off doing it first thing in the morning before you eat.
2) Concerning hydration and fluid intake, drink at a minimum half of your body weight in ounces of water each day. Don't drink tap water as it often contains things like fluoride and chlorine. Get water that has been purified by reverse osmosis. Because it is really hot this summer and because you will be training, get even more water. Just track it and make sure at minimum you get half of your body weight in ounces of water each day. If you weigh 200 pounds, get 100 ounces of water at minimum.
3) If you're going to cut carbs, which you should if you want to cut body fat, be sure to get a little (maybe 30 g-50 g a day) but get them after your workout or for dinner to create the release of serotonin in the evening which will help to relax you and get you a better night’s sleep. Don't eat carbs in the morning as cortisol levels are highest between 6 and 8 a.m. High cortisol plus insulin peak – just don’t do it.
4) For guys, get 0.8 g of protein per pound of your desired body weight. If you want to weigh 210 pounds, you need to get 168 g of protein per day. That seems like a lot but remember that each ounce of chicken or steak or turkey contains 7g of protein per ounce. We can easily eat 5 or 6 ounces of meat three times a day. That gets us easily over 100 g of protein. And with a shake and a handful of seeds and nuts, you can easily reach that. For women, eat .7 g of protein per pound of desired body weight for muscle-building.
5) Favor leaner cuts of meat over fatty ones. Avoid things like pork. If you were going to eat some steaks, upgrade from the cheap meats to the ones which are a little more costly but have less fat. You don't have to eat fillet mignon but I certainly wouldn't eat the meats out there which are frozen or cost one dollar per pound.
6) Cut out dairy. This is a big one. If you love milk, forget about it. Yogurt would be OK because of all the probiotics which will help with digestion, but make sure it is not genetically modified and that it is a really good one with very little sugar. Chobani brand is pretty good. Just remember, no carbs in the morning so eat yogurt later in the evening.
7) You can also improve your gut health by getting fermented foods like sauerkraut, pickles, kambucha and kefir.
8) Don't drink liquids 20 minutes before or after meals. Digestion is critical for nutrient absorption and overall health.
9) Improve insulin sensitivity by drinking coffee or green tea 3 to 4 times daily. Like I mentioned before, we don't want to spike insulin because for a person who is trying to lose weight it is likely you already have enough fat on your body, and it is unlikely that you are going to use that fat for fuel if you keep ingesting carbs. You don't need carbs for energy. You need to use the fat (stored energy) on your body as fuel.
10) Get protein at every meal. Also, eat it first and with fiber. For example, you have a chicken some spinach and a handful of cut up potatoes for dinner - eat all of the chicken and spinach first, then you can eat the potatoes if you still feel hungry. Your likely eat fewer potatoes that way. Just remember, you probably don't need carbs. In fact, some of us don't even deserve to lick a dried prune but every six months. Be good, kids.
11) Trade out unhealthy snacks for healthy nuts like almonds, cashews, brazil nuts, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, and macadamia nuts.
12) Eliminate the "3 white poisons" from your diet- sugar, salt and flour.
To learn more about how we can get you into shape quickly and safely and become stronger and more confident, write us! I'm always available to answer questions and guide you in the right direction. You can also come and see us. Shoot us a message or give us a call to set up a time that works best for you.
We love our clients and will do nothing less than treat you like VIP. No exceptions.
Strong is Beautiful.