SUMMERDALE, Alabama — With the prediction of Tropical Storm Nate reaching hurricane status by the time it makes landfall this weekend, Baldwin EMC officials are monitoring the storm around the …
SUMMERDALE, Alabama — With the prediction of Tropical Storm Nate reaching hurricane status by the time it makes landfall this weekend, Baldwin EMC officials are monitoring the storm around the clock and all crews are on storm alert status. The cooperative reminds everyone to take precautions and offers these tips for safety during extended power outages:
• Turn your refrigerator and freezer to their lowest settings and avoid opening them unless absolutely necessary. Be sure to check for spoilage before eating anything refrigerated.
• If you use a generator, keep it outside. Using generators inside can have tragic consequences. Fumes produced can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. Generators should only be used in well-ventilated areas outside the home. In addition, never add fuel while a generator is running. Turn it off and let it cool first. Do not connect a portable generator to your home’s wiring. Connect it only to appliances, and only used approved properly-sized power cords.
• The use of an extension cord connected to a neighboring home or business is discouraged. Depending on how the cord is connected to the home needing power, it can result in “silent feedback” to the utility's electrical distribution system.
• Always treat downed power lines as though they are live wires.
• Lower any outside antennae and avoid power lines.
Following a storm, remain indoors until the “all clear” notice is given by the emergency management system or your local law enforcement. Roads may be impassable and power lines may be down.
For the most up-to-date outage information, follow Baldwin EMC on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter or visit baldwinemc.com.
Baldwin EMC is a member-owned electric cooperative serving more than 74,000 accounts in Baldwin and Monroe Counties in southwest Alabama, including Alabama’s Gulf Coast. This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer.